- 1 Tbl unsalted butter
- 1/2 c chopped carrot (about 1 medium carrot)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 1 (8 oz) package pre-sliced baby portabella mushrooms (if the slices are rather thick use a sharp knife to cut in half into thinner slices)
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, minced (or substitute 1/4 tsp dried rosemary)
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 28 oz low-sodium chicken broth (or substitute vegetable broth)
- 1 c uncooked wild rice
- 1/3 c Better Batter All-Purpose Flour
- 2 3/4 c 2% reduced fat milk
- 2 Tbl dry sherry, optional
- 3/4 tsp salt, divided
Melt butter in a Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat. Add carrot, onion, celery, mushrooms, rosemary, pepper, garlic, and 1/4 tsp salt. Saute 8-10 minutes or until tender.
Stir in broth and rice, bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 1 hour and 15 minutes or until rice is tender.
Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup. Combine flour and milk in a medium bowl, stirring well with a fork or whisk to blend. Add flour mixture to soup and cook over medium heat for 7-10 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently. Stir in optional dry sherry and reserved 1/2 tsp salt. Makes 4-6 servings.
Adapted from Cooking Light