1-1/3 cups Better Batter Gluten Free Flour
1/3 cup Hershey’s Special Dark unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup strong brewed coffee, room temperature
2 teaspoons espresso powder
1-1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 egg, room temperature
3/4 cup Nestle semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Mix the espresso powder into the hot brewed coffee until dissolved; set aside to cool to room temperature.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a standard-size muffin tin with paper liners.
3. Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
4. Cream the butter and both sugars together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg and beat until just combined. In a measuring cup, combine the milk, brewed coffee mixture and vanilla. Slowly add the flour mixture, alternating with the coffee mixture, ending with the flour mixture. Let batter sit for 30 minutes (optional, but I’ve found this gives the best results).
5. Divide batter evenly between the 12 liners. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of a cupcake comes out with a few moist crumbs. Cool completely before frosting cupcakes.
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
2-1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1-1/2 teaspoons espresso powder
1. Mix the espresso powder with the vanilla extract until dissolved; set aside.
2. In a stand mixer (or with a hand mixer), whip the butter on medium-high speed for 5 minutes, stopping once to scrape the sides of the bowl.
3. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the confectioners’ sugar a little at a time, waiting until it is mostly incorporated before adding more. Once all of the confectioners’ sugar has been added, scrape the sides of the bowl and increase the speed to medium-high and mix until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
4. Add the espresso and vanilla mixture and continue to mix at medium-high speed until it is completely incorporated, scraping the sides as necessary.
5. Frost cupcakes in manner desired. Sprinkle with grated chocolate, a chocolate covered espresso bean or mini chocolate chips.