- 1 lb ground beef or ground turkey
- 1/2 tsp salt, or more to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 Tbl chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 c Better Batter All-Purpose Flour
- 2 c low-sodium broth
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 c frozen corn kernels
- Hot rice or quinoa for serving
- Toppings of your choice: chopped cilantro, shredded lettuce, shredded cheese, chopped tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, olives, tortilla chips, etc.
Prepare the rice or quinoa. Meanwhile, mix up the meat sauce.
Make the meat sauce.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the ground beef or turkey and break into smaller pieces until browned throughout. Drain off grease. Add in the salt, pepper, paprika, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, oregano, garlic powder, and flour and stir well. Cook 1-2 minutes. Add the beef broth and tomato sauce in increments, gently stirring to incorporate. Allow sauce to thicken and get bubbly before adding more broth and tomato sauce. Stir in the black beans and frozen corn and bring the mixture to a simmer and cook 5 minutes or until thickened.
Serve the meat sauce over hot rice or quinoa and toppings of your choice. Makes 4+ servings.
If you are short on time or individual spices, look for store-bought taco seasoning as a substitute for the salt - garlic powder listed above. Just add flour!
Adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe