Meatball Subs on Homemade Baguettes
As summer arrives, I try to find meals that are somewhat lighter and easier to cook compared to the hearty soups and stews and roasts that I cook when the weather is cooler. One of my family’s new favorite meals is meatball subs. I make homemade baguettes for these yummy, saucy sandwiches, and my kids always ask for seconds!
Baguette (makes 3-4 small baguettes)
Original recipe found at: http://glutenfreerecipebox.com/gluten-free-baguettes
** I have adjusted and simplified the baguette recipe to make it easier and faster.**
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon rapid rise yeast
1 ¼ cups very warm water
2 ¼ cups (9 ounces) Better Batter gluten-free flour
1 teaspoon salt
Cornmeal (for dusting the pan)
1. Mix sugar and yeast together in a small mixing bowl.
2. Add warm water, and mix well with a whisk.
3. Mix Better Batter gluten-free flour and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer.
4. Add water and yeast mixture to flour mixture, and mix on low speed for about 1 minute.
5. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl well, and then continue mixing on high speed for 3-4 minutes.
6. Begin to preheat oven to 350˚F to provide a warm place for the bread to rise.
7. Oil or butter pan. Sprinkle with cornmeal. (I use a pan that is approximately 6 inches by 9 inches.)
8. Put the bread dough in a gallon zip-top bag. Squeeze the dough into one corner of the bag, and twist the top of the bag. Cut off one corner about 2 inches from the edge.
9. Squeeze bread dough out of plastic bag into pan into small loaves.
10. Let dough rise in a warm place (like the back of the stove) for about 30 minutes.
11. Bake bread for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
12. Serve warm with meatballs and lots of sauce!
1 ½ pounds ground beef
1 pound Italian sausage (I use mild sausage, because my husband doesn’t like spicy food.)
½ cup Parmesan cheese
¼ cup dried onion (optional)
Basil, oregano, salt, pepper, garlic powder, red pepper flakes to taste
1 large can crushed tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1. Mix the ground beef, Italian sausage, egg, Parmesan cheese, dried onion, and herbs and spices in a large mixing bowl.
2. Form the meatballs to the size you want for your subs.
3. Cook meatballs in a large skillet over medium heat. Turning often until brown and cooked through.
4. Add crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce to the pan with the meatballs. Season to taste.
5. Simmer (over low heat) meatballs in sauce for 10 minutes or until you are ready to serve them.
6. Serve meatballs on your fresh baguette bread with lots of yummy sauce and cheese (if desired)!