- 2 1/2 c (10 oz) Better Batter Original Blend All-Purpose Flour, plus 1 Tbsp extra flour for dusting the workbench
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 c light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 stick (4 oz) unsalted butter, finely grated and frozen
- 1 large egg beaten, at room temperature
- 1/2 c plain full-fat yogurt or sour cream
- 6-7+ Tbsp whole milk
- 4 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 oz ham, diced
- 1/4 c diced scallions, optional
- 1 egg beaten with a splash of milk, for brushing on top of the scones before baking
Preheat and prepare.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside. Grate the stick of butter using the smaller holes on a box grater. Freeze 10 minutes while gathering the rest of the ingredients.
Make the scone dough.
In a large bowl, add the flour, salt, pepper, baking powder, baking soda, and brown sugar. Mix well to combine. Working quickly, add the frozen grated butter into the flour mixture and gently stir to combine. Set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together one egg, yogurt or sour cream, and 5 Tbsp milk. Beat well to combine. Add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture and combine with a fork. Continue to add milk one tablespoon at a time or until everything is just moistened. Add in the ham (I used Virginia Smoked, but choose your favorite!) grated cheese and optional scallions. Gently fold into the dough with a spatula. Pour the dough onto a clean, floured work bench and shape into a thick 10-inch circle. Cut the dough into 8 wedges and carefully transfer to the prepared baking sheet, spacing the scone wedges 2 inches apart.
Brush the egg wash on top of each scone wedge using a pastry brush before baking. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the tops are golden brown. Cool slightly and serve warm.
Adapted from Baker By Nature