- 16 oz gluten-free spaghetti noodles
- salt and pepper
- 3 Tbl unsalted butter, divided
- 2 Tbl Better Batter All-Purpose Flour
- 1 c vegetable broth
- 1/2 c heavy cream (or substitute half and half or even whole milk)
- 1 c Pecorino Romano cheese, grated finely
- Up to 1/2 c reserved pasta boiling water
- Up to 1/2 c gluten-free breadcrumbs (reserve a slice or two from your favorite Better Batter bread recipe)
Boil the pasta.
Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Lightly salt the water and add the pasta. Cook until al dente, about 8-10 minutes or as recommended on the pasta box. Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water for the sauce. Drain and transfer back to the pot.
Make the cheese sauce.
While the pasta is boiling prepare the creamy cheese sauce. Melt 2 Tbl butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden and flour is fully incorporated. add the vegetable broth and whisk well, bringing to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cook until thickened, about 3-4 minutes. Add the cream and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Whisk to combine and slowly add the grated cheese in 1/4 increments. Be sure to stir well to melt the cheese before adding the next bit of cheese. Remove from the heat. Pour the cheese sauce over the cooked pasta and toss to coat. Add reserved pasta water 1-2 Tbl at a time and toss to combine, making a silky sauce. Serve with additional grated Pecorino Romano and top with toasted breadcrumbs, below.
Toast the breadcrumbs.
Heat the remaining tablespoon of butter in a small pan over medium-low heat. Add the breadcrumbs and stir frequently until lightly toasted. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Breadcrumbs can be stored in an airtight container for up to one week.
Adapted from Cooking and Beer