- 1 lb asparagus, trimmed of woody stems and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 c low-sodium chicken broth (substitute vegetable broth to make this a vegetarian soup)
- 3/4 tsp fresh thyme, chopped, divided
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 3 Tbl unsalted butter
- 3 Tbl Better Batter All-Purpose Flour
- 2 c 2% milk
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp fresh grated lemon zest
You will also need a blender to puree this soup.
Cook the asparagus.
Combine the asparagus, broth, 1/2 tsp thyme, bay leaf, and crushed garlic clove in a large soup pot. Bring to a boil over high heat, cover, then reduce heat and let simmer for 10 minutes. Asparagus will be softened. Remove from heat and discard bay leaf.
Carefully place asparagus mixture in a blender, process until smooth. Set aside.
Make the soup.
Place butter in the soup pot and let melt over medium-low heat. Add flour and whisk to combine, making sure to leave no dry pockets of flour. Gradually add the milk and whisk to combine, cook until thickened. Add the pureed asparagus mixture and simmer at least 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in the remaining thyme, salt, pepper, and lemon zest. Serve. Makes 4 servings.
Adapted from Cooking Light