My best Christmas present last year was a … WAFFLE IRON! I have been experimenting with different types of waffles. One of my family’s favorites is now cornbread waffles. They go great with a big bowl of chili with sour cream and cheese …. I’m making myself hungry again!
**I use the recipe I found years ago on the Quaker Corn Meal container. It’s the cornbread recipe that I like to use. I just adjust as necessary to make it gluten-free.**
1 ¼ cups Better Batter flour
¾ cup corn meal
¼ cup sugar (optional—My husband and children like a sweet batter on their corn dogs.)
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt (optional)
1 cup milk (or substitute)
2 eggs (or substitute)
**The original recipe only calls for one egg, but to make fluffy waffles you need more egg that is beaten
1. Combine dry ingredients.
2. Beat egg in stand mixer until fluffy. (I put the eggs in the mixer, and let it run on medium to medium-high while I gather the rest of my ingredients.)
3. Add milk and continue mixing.
4. Add dry ingredients, and mix well.
5. If batter is too thick, add more milk (or substitute) until it is the desired consistency.
6. Serve with your favorite foods like chili!