- 1/2 stick (4 Tbl) unsalted butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 slices bacon, diced (omit to make vegetarian)
- 3 sweet bell peppers, diced (red, orange, and yellow together are great for this recipe)
- 5 ears fresh corn, kernels cut off the cob (or substitute 5 c frozen corn)
- 1/4 c Better Batter All-Purpose Flour
- 3 c chicken stock (or substitute vegetable stock to make vegetarian)
- 2 c whole milk
- 1 heaping c shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 heaping c shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1/3 c sliced green onion
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Make the chowder.
In a Dutch oven or large soup pot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Cook the bacon until crispy, stirring constantly so it doesn't burn. Add the diced onions and peppers and cook, stirring often, until onions are transparent and peppers begin to soften. Add the corn and cook, stirring often, for 2-3 minutes. minute. Sprinkle the flour evenly over the top of the vegetable mixture and stir to combine. Pour in the broth and stir; cook for 3-4 minutes or until thickened slightly. Reduce heat to low. Add in the milk and stir to combine. Cover soup pot and simmer about 15 minutes. Stir in the grated cheeses and green onion, mixing to melt in the cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serves 8+.
Adapted from The Pioneer Woman