- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 c Better Batter All-Purpose Flour
- 4 c low-sodium chicken broth (or substitute vegetable broth)
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 large broccoli crown, trimmed from the stalk and chopped into small, bite-sized florets
- 2 c fresh or frozen corn kernels (do not thaw if using frozen)
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 c milk
- salt and pepper to taste
Crisp the bacon.
In a large Dutch oven or other heavy-bottomed soup pot, cook the bacon over medium-low heat until crisp, about 8-10 minutes. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain using a slotted spoon. Set bacon aside.
Make the chowder.
Add onion to the bacon grease (or instead of bacon grease, use 2 Tbl butter or olive oil) and cook, stirring often, until it begins to soften, about 6-8 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, about 30 seconds. Add broth and diced potato, bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until potato is tender, about 10-12 minutes. Add broccoli, corn, dried thyme, and milk. Cook, stirring often, until broccoli is crisp-tender, about 8-10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, topped with reserved bacon.
Adapted from Cooking Light