For the cake:
- 1 box Better Batter Gluten Free Yellow Cake Mix
- 1 large box (5 oz) lemon pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 c oil of your choice (I use vegetable oil)
- 3/4 c 7Up or lemon-lime soda
- 1 tsp xanthan gum (Optional: this is already included in the cake mix, but extra is used as an extra precaution to help the cake rise properly and not deflate, as a result of the extra sugar in the soda. You may omit and use an extra egg, if you wish)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the glaze:
Other items you will need:
Preheat and pan prep.
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Generously grease and flour your cake pan and tap our excess flour.
Prepare the cake batter.
In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, pudding, eggs, oil, 7Up soda, optional xanthan gum, and vanilla extract and beat well for 2-3 minutes. The batter will have a thicker consistency than a normal cake batter. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and use a spatula or spoon to smooth out the top.
Bake the cake and prepare the glaze.
Bake the cake for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Rotate the pan halfway through baking and I use a sheet of foil to tent the cake after 30 minutes to prevent over-browning. The cake will fall slightly after coming out of the oven, but let cool 10 minutes before removing from the pan and cooling completely on a wire rack. Once the cake has cooled, combine powdered sugar and 3 Tbl milk in a small bowl. Whisk together to your desired consistency, adding more milk to thin or more powdered sugar to thicken the glaze. Spoon glaze on top of the cake. Serves 12+.